THE AISLE SEAT - by Mike McGranaghan
"STRAIGHT-UP BLATANT: MUSINGS FROM THE AISLE SEAT"
I'm excited to announce that my first book, Straight-Up Blatant: Musings From The Aisle Seat, has been published and is now available for purchase! It's a collection of movie-related essays – some straightforward, some humorous. The material in the book is almost all completely new (aside from three or four blog pieces I reprinted, just because they were personal favorites) and not available anywhere else. Here are some examples of what you'll find between the pages:
* I revisit the less-than-prestigious first movie I ever saw in a theater
* A look at why movies based on videogames never work
* A comical look at the different types of moviegoers and their unique quirks
* My radical suggestions for how to fix the Academy Awards and the movie rating system
* How to make movie titles more exciting
* A letter to today's kids from a grumpy old moviegoer
* A look at how movies have (and haven't) changed post-9/11
* Why I hate to cry at the movies (hint: I usually cry at inappropriate ones)
* An examination of Hollywood's tendency to make multiple movies with the same plot
* I point out some of cinema's most ridiculous cliches
* My picks for the very worst movies I've seen since beginning The Aisle Seat in 1995
* Pieces on some of my favorite “buried treasures,” including The American Astronaut, Stranger Than Paradise and Lift, plus a look at one of cinema's most bizarre bombs, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, starring the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton
* Why you shouldn't get up and run out of the theater as soon as the end credits start
* An in-depth investigation into how adoption has been portrayed in motion pictures
Also in Straight-Up Blatant, you'll find pieces on the impact of Star Wars, the inanity of prequels, and a humorous look at the long history of kids sneaking into R-rated movies. Plus, learn how to play the patented Gauntlet Movie Game!
Written over the course of eight months, Straight-Up Blatant is a labor of love and the fulfillment of a lifelong dream to write and publish a book. It is available now via my publisher's website, Lulu.com, and best of all, it's currently on sale for 10% off! (Also available on Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle formats.) I hope you'll consider giving it a read.
If you'd like to purchase a copy, just click the button below.